While there are specific commercial cleaners available to keep your chrome wheels looking the best they can be -- we recommend our L.A. Wheel and Tire Chrome Care Kit (contact us to get one!)-- there's still the challenge of ensuring brake dust is cleaned off before these are applied, because the dust can cause pitting or scratching. Here's a simple, cheap way to keep your chrome in good shape to ensure the brightest shine and best protection for your chrome before you use your chrome care kit.
What you need:
- Microfiber towel - which comes in our Chrome Care Kit, by the way.
- A soft sponge.
- Dawn dish detergent liquid.
- Hot water, preferably in a bucket, because holding it in your hands won't help.
- Water hose (preferably one that doesn't shoot at 1200 PSI).
At least once every two weeks. The longer you wait, the harder it is, and the more likely brake dust could pit or scratch the chrome finish. Always do this before applying the Metal Polish and Metal Protector that comes in the L.A. Wheel and Tire Chrome Care Kit.
- Use the water hose to spray off the loose dirt and debris from the wheel. Don't go full blast or use a firehose if you truly value the chrome finish!
- Take your hot water and put in the bucket. Add 1/2 a cup of the Dawn dish detergent liquid to it for some bubbly cleaning power!
- Dip your sponge into the water/Dawn mix, and gently clean your wheels. If the brake dust proves to be stubborn like my Mom, just let the cleaning solution sit on it for a few minutes and sponge it off again.
- Rinse the wheels with the water hose. Remember: don't use a firehose. You'll blow your car away. Seriously, though, make sure you rinse from the top down, so dirt and suds wash off of the wheel rather than getting sprayed all up inside and around it.
- Dry the wheels with a microfiber towel... [shameless plug alert!] just like the one that comes with our Chrome Care Kit! [end shameless plug alert!].
- Smile and nod as you look at that sexy chrome wheel.
Looking to purchase wheels in custom finishes?
Call us TODAY! 1-800-584-2832
Or visit www.LAWHEEL.com
Questions, comments, concerns? Hit us up in the comments below!